Tuesday, September 4, 2018

EXHIBITORS




Ella Bassett
“Running Out”
Watersoluble graphite pencil drawing on paper

Like a crack in pane of glass, spreading, ready to shatter. Like a puzzle with too many pieces but nowhere to start, because you can’t find the corner pieces.  Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide.  The passenger pigeon survived by running, survived by hiding. The fear begins here.  “The Scream of Nature”, explained the emotion and experience that led to the creation of my artwork. This overwhelming sense of anxiety, panic, and exhaustion inspired my work, utilising the intense nature of a sudden panic attack to channel the tragic story of the passenger pigeon.  Running out of time, birds and life.










Emily Bell
“Self-portrait”
Prismacolour pencil on grey Stonehenge

Cyclamen leaves encompass the authenticity of organic matter, underpinning the principles of genuineness and self-grounding. As a spiritual symbol of everlasting love and protection for family, I reveal my unconditional gratitude for the people and opportunities offered in this life. Bare skin and veiled eyes epitomize rawness and vulnerability. I am stripped of my physical identity and humbled, exposing my true self, wishing not to be judged for the superficiality of appearance, but core values and beliefs. Bared roots resemble the desire for progression; my life has barely begun and I embrace the journey ahead for growth as an individual.










Claire Blumson
“Helpless
Graphite and coloured pencil on paper

I am helpless to control my fate. The degree of control that I have over my life is limited, and incapacitating mental blocks are the primary reason for this. I am like a butterfly in a jar – free to move within a confined space but unable to gain true control over what happens to me. Glass is a metaphor for my mental blocks that somewhat incapacitate me; I can see opportunities on the other side but am unable to cross it, preventing me from reaching my true potential. But if I am able to break through this constraints, if I am able to take control, only then am I truly free.










Sofie Cripps
“Memento Mori”
Oil painting on canvas board

Memento Mori (remember death), a sad cry reminding us of the ephemerality of life; ignorance has left humans forgetful of their past deeds, remembering only what we want to for history is written by the victors. This paradigm is apparent through the extinction of the Great Auks. Vulnerable and naïve to the greed of men, the last breeding pair in existence were unceremoniously strangled purely for aesthetic – light, white and black feathers. The draping of the white cloth forces the figure to remain ambiguous, representing the extinction of the Great Auks being a faint thought at the back of peoples’ minds with little importance. It was as if their death was meaningless, their identities stripped away much like their feathers were.











Simone Everingham
“safe space”
Acrylic paint on canvas, cotton on embroidery hoops and digital photography

My safe space is my special place, a secluded yet whimsical dwelling where I can allow myself to grow, develop and thrive. It is essentially a metaphorical shell that conceals my being, demonstrated in several aspects of my art - textiles and embroideries. For some, it is easy to discover the holes in my isolated façade and break down this wall allowing myself to flourish in the comfort of others. I often feel that in order to discover my destined path, I must do it alone.  However, this is not the case and I am learning to accept this.











Chontelle Jeynes
“Journey”
Mixed media (encaustic and embedded image)

My artwork is a reflection of my life journey, filled with complexities, trying to understand my own identity through self-exploration, driven by curiosity, passion and creativity.   I spent my whole childhood surrounded by water and this is where I feel my sense of calm.  Inspired by my series of underwater photographs, I wanted to experiment with hot encaustic wax that would resemble water; that was able to give my artwork a luscious, translucent flowing effect. By igniting the wet shellac, I built up the textures to create a sense of depth, leaving a delicate complexity, intricate beauty and intriguing curiosity to resemble my unfinished journey.










Leishia Liu
“Untitled”
Oil paint on wood

This artwork embodies how my Chinese ethnicity moulds who I am throughout my growing self. At the young age of my journey, I never accepted the culture I represented, being signified by the absence of red in the first panel. Whilst growing up, slowly I acknowledged my culture and appreciated the chances and perspectives that my Chinese ethnicity gave me. On the journey of accepting and shaping who I am, up to the present, I’m proud of my background and see things from a different view-point.










Tanami Loftus
“Portrait of the Artist as Protection”
Oil on Wood

I am protection. I close my eyes, the gate to my soul, locking people out from seeing my deepest thoughts. My real expression in my eyes and mouth is covered by a conspicuous façade of happiness and joy that represents the mask that I have to shield my raw emotions from society’s embezzlements. Blueberries are there for protection to keep me safe from societies abominations that provoke fake ideologies and mess with my mind, making me think I have to be and think a certain way to please the world and be accepted. My loose hair that flows free behind me represents my need for freedom and space. The slight colour of the blueberries juxtapose the monotones of me that show little identity to emphasis the bold power of protection that I need to survive.














Parsha Mia
“Untitled”
Coloured pencil, graphite pencil and watercolour on Stonehenge paper

This series of works is a representation of both the conflicts of my reality and my aspirations for the future. Each shoe belongs to a member of my family and collectively, they embody my ongoing quest to find my place of belonging and full acceptance within the family unit whilst embracing the beauty of our differences. I long for the day that I will gain the full freedom to govern my own choices and tread over novel terrain, whilst simultaneously fearing the progression of time and its pervasive impact on the impermanence of childhood bliss and personal relationships. The pieces are depictions of my identity and facets of my character, rendered in all of its mundanity, extravagance, confidence, insecurity, melancholy and vibrancy as I continue on my path to accepting and embracing the dichotomies of life.











Ayesha Legat
Home
Folded paper

This work explores the human condition through absence and alienation. Our world exists within the confines of a particular set of walls that, to the outsider, have no significant value. The rows of identical houses generate a feeling of loneliness through the slightly transparent walls, we can see the warm glow of presence but are not invited in. The viewer searches for meaning but the houses lack windows, what happens behind these walls is private.








Paris Rodd
A Portrait
Ink drawings

This series of small ink drawings represents my thoughts, the sub-conscious dialogue that we are not even aware of. Thoughts are a dichotomy of reality and fantasy – truth and fiction. The works have no focal point as thoughts don’t necessarily have a defined narrative, instead the eye is kept busy darting from object to object, thought to thought, carelessly and without a linear plan much like the ‘automatism’ of the Surrealists.













Nina Campbell
Fire
Digital drawing

A juxtaposition of beauty and ruin is evident in these works where perfect faces are obscured by the bulky gas mask. The models pose as if for a photoshoot however the background would suggest danger, violence…even explosions. Our world is underpinned by a culture of fear, fear from terror, individuals that are working to undo our perfection.








Maddie Lefebvre
The Hoping
Oil on canvas

In psychology, the ‘distorted grief reaction’ is considered as an objective to recapture something that was lost. The subject feels unable to move forward which leads to obsession and rumination and eventually depression. These paintings represent a catharsis, for me, a recovery from a sudden loss. They are a part of a series that works through the process of hurt, hope and healing. I painted with my fingers to physically connect with the canvas, the bad memories fade and the healing will be learnt from the past. The process of painting allows me to move forward.








Darcy McGrath
Never-ending 
Mixed Media

Juxtaposition between the ocean and desert can be observed on many levels particularly in the colours and textures we associate with each landscape. The ocean is described as abounding, peaceful, soft, and flourishing and the desert as barren, harsh and moribund. However, both landscapes are not so dissimilar, both are Never-ending and in the creation of this work these qualities have been expressed through the medium and composition.





  




Lachlan Putzolu
It’s Your View
Mixed Media

Viewed from an aerial perspective the surface of the earth displays many beautiful colours and textures. Inspirited by the untouched aqua landscape, ‘It’s Your Fault’ juxtaposes blue against white emphasising this stark and beautiful land.     Aerial perspective inspired the artist to consider the concept of Mother Nature’s bird’s eye view of her perfect creations.  The world she so carefully created below her is forever changing and evolving.  She watches on as the surface is naturally and continually recreated, however, she looks on and wonders what detrimental effect human kind is having on this beautiful surface.













Allyssa Brauer
Implicit Universe
Acrylic paint on canvas

Implicit Universe is derived from five personal focus’ within the concept of Beliefs, Values and Attitudes. These focuses entail my attitude and value for nature conservation; my mum; my beliefs of souls, subconscious intuition, and astrology. For this artwork, I intertwined a variety of my beliefs to construct and provide a strong portrayal of the interpersonal levels of The Artist Within me. The artwork is heavy with symbolism to reflect who I am, and to essentially encompass the overarching concept of The Artist Within.
The symbolism within my artwork is highly varied and rich. The symbols embedded within the artwork include a gold bracelet on the right wrist to reflect my mum’s bracelet; the three feminine figures in the top left to resemble souls; a girl painted in the same style with a crescent moon on her forehead to reflect one of subconscious intuition, like the ‘high priestess’; constellations to reflect my beliefs in astrology; and most notably, the hands holding a flower to highlight my value towards the environment and the universal necessity to care for it.
The aesthetics of Implicit Universe is not only derived from my previous artworks but inspired by influential artists such as Gustav Klimt through the use of gold, James Guppy’s juxtaposition and floral elements, and Sandro Botticelli’s humanism ‘scenes’ he created in works such as the The Birth of Venus.









Eshan Prasad
The Dictators Demise
Digital Media

Those who control their people under one, are almost certainly destined to fail. The disintegration of society, and the fate of those who rule with an iron fist, is ordained in this artwork, The Dictator’s Demise. 
With the concept of Attitude, Beliefs and Values, The Dictator’s Demise is an appropriation of Raphael’s seminal work The School of Athens. This artwork presents the viewer with an authoritarian dictator, ruling with propaganda to his right, and a rifle in hand. Flanking him are supporters, and he presents himself before his two means of rule, the red military and the gold civilian governments. To his right is his means of enforcement, the military, performing plans, moving supplies and watching over the event. To his right is the civilian government, organizing law and economy.
Taking elements of heavy handed Renaissance style symbolism and compassion, the artwork also uses references to other events, such as the assassination of Franz Ferdinand and Abraham Lincoln to bring references of real world events. The additions of minor props such as real-world weapons and clothing strengthen the concept of political attitudes and beliefs.







Kayla Orbell 
“Superlunary”
Mixed Media on Canvas

“Superlunary” expresses the process of individuation through a dream-like sequence of situations we may be facing in our conscious life, for our dreams reveal more than they conceal. Overall, the message that I have conveyed within my work is that “every cloud has a silver lining”, meaning that you should never feel hopeless because difficult times always lead to better days. This addresses the concept of ‘The Artist Within’ and the focus of ‘Attitudes, Beliefs and Values’ as it reflects healing during these stages of human development whilst determining one’s capacity for reflection and adaption between the conscious and subconscious mind.

Dreams are the successions of images, ideas and emotions that usually occur involuntarily in the mind during certain stages of sleep. It is within this stage of sleep where our waking self is put to rest and our subconscious takes over. Inspired by Jungian’s Theory of Dreams, I have conveyed symbolic elements to emphasise emotions, feelings, ideas and subjectivity rather than realism. 
The incorporation of symbolism comments on the subconscious mind and its expression of life as a continuous balance between light and dark times. In Chinese philosophy, Yin & Yang; ’dark-bright’, ‘negative-positive’ describes how seemingly opposite or contrary forces may actually be complementary, interconnected, and interdependent in the natural world. These two halves that together complete wholeness are unchanging and complete. One thing for sure, there will be times of darkness in order to appreciate the times of light.









Rebecca Baker
“Royalty at its Finest”
Mixed Media on Canvas and Glass

The Victorian style clothing is a reference to when animals were supposedly first domesticated* and to my ancestral heritage. A tip of the hat to the long history many families share with canine friends. The dog looks outwards not toward the painter, contradicting the traditional Victorian codes of portrait painting. The cool colours and sympathetic expression of the dog evokes ideas of sadness and mournful understanding which is interpreted in different ways. I intended it to portray the notion that the dog is looking out to its owner in order to display devotion, loyalty and affinity for the bond both the owner and animal share.  An alternative interpretation could be that the dog is upset and disturbed as it looks out onto the world. The dog mourns the humanity outside of the distorted reality of the artwork, as they have lost touch with the present and what matters. The expression of the dog and mysterious gaze allows for the viewers own experiences with dogs to influence their interpretation and in turn see their own, specific reality differently. The dog was positioned slightly right of centre facing the left, once again this goes against the Victorian codes. It depicts how dogs can tip your world off centre, make you see things in a different light and to be in the present aware of what matters most.








Mark Shin
Fading Memory 
Oil on canvas

Dementia is a thief, stealing the most precious components of our existence- memory and a sense of self.   My series of oil on canvas paintings explore the diminishing of memory as a result of these invasive diseases and disorders.  A large portrait of an elderly man is surrounded by fading family, while ink blots suggest loss of cognitive function and the persistent desire to remember. As our aging population enters an era of extended lifespans, dementia will, directly or indirectly, affect all of us. My work reflects on this poignant reality.











Sierra Sterling
Belonging and Dislocation 
Digital animation

My digital animation stars a person dislocated from an appropriate environment.  Instead, the being enters a series of dreamlike locations devoid of obvious human life.  At times the viewer sees the individual as belonging in its new place, however, at others it appears lost and alienated.  This transition encourages the viewer to consider notions of home and displacement.  









  

Giselle Devine 
Capturé dans L'éveil
Oil on canvas and primed paper

This conceptual series of five explores the transitional state between wakefulness and dreaming, scientifically known as ‘hypogognia’. For this series, I wanted to explore themes such as lucid dreaming and alternative states of consciousness, resulting in a series of conceptual, surreal portraits which utilise symbolic imagery such as Luna moths, clocks and clouds to portray an entrapment in a dream like state. A gilded, ornate frame adds to the ethereal feel of the piece, whilst the gold foil accents add to the delicacy of the smaller canvases.








Samara Cummings
Veritable Manifestation
Mixed media sculpture

My mixed media sculptural work depicts a transition into an abnormal state of mind, experienced by those who suffer from depression. My expressive work was inspired by Jackson Pollock’s Blue Poles, which was created during a bout of severe depression.  Pollock’s expressive use of media resulted in the release of emotional trauma.  I explored similar expressive techniques in my own work as I experimented with the manipulation of media.  The resulting abrasive surfaces aided my depiction of state of mind. Additionally, the sculptural form of the elevated brain spills and releases pent up emotional debris.











Kaitlyn Wojtaszak
Use it or Lose it
Digital on Canvas with Resin

Creative minds are being increasingly sort after by industries globally. One’s ability to see “grey” in a somewhat black and white society is required to be a holistic self-reflective thinker. Just imagine a world without art! The world would just fall into an immediate darkness without the pure essence of creativity and passion. Art encompasses every aspect of our lives such as the clothing we wear, the buildings we live in, the music we listen to, the medicines we take, the books we read and the colours we see within everyday life just to name a few. If it weren’t for the creative capacity of humans a society without art would just be a portal into a meek realm. This triptych encompasses the passion of the colour red in a black and white world imagined without art.  A glimpse of white light, throughout the right corner of the works signify the opening of one’s mind to new artistic appreciation directing the teenager into a more creative universe, where art is explored. The series reiterates the need for creative expression to transcend our views, opinions and beliefs from the crudeness of the world.











Grace Qaranivalu
Through the Lens
Charcoal on paper & Mixed Media on canvas

In a world becoming obsessed by the instant “selfie” I wanted to portray the juxtaposition of realism and expressionism in these works. With the overuse of apps and filters - What is it that one sees now through the lens? Or do we wrap our imperfections and mask the truth? The snapshot of the lens and the snapshot of a blink may in essence never see the same picture. Polaroids and other types of cameras don’t just take good photos and store them like mobile phones to be edited. They are a tool capturing present moments. Whether good or bad, it reflects the instant moment. This artwork is based on the topic of “mundane” and inspired by artist Jim Dine and his charcoal works.










Dylan Winn
Struggle
Mixed Media on board

With the dawn of social media, many have flocked to the internet in an attempt to get a so called “5-seconds of fame”. This human craving of fame is what “Struggle” endeavours to capture. This want for online social recognition in many usually originates from the comparative impression that individuals with online fame are regarded on a similar status with that of genuine celebrities. By combining both delicate and rough materials, this work aims to represent the convoluted discussion around the desire for fame and the aspiration to achieve it. The imagery over the two panels ventures into a realm bordering on confrontation and familiarity, this use of the opposition between uncanny and natural forms is inspired by many works from surrealist painter Francis Bacon. This concurrence draws the viewer by creating an atmosphere where they are forced to accept the presence of the piece in their space. The collision of the uncanny and the everyday in the piece is created by blending human features such as skin, arms, eyes and teeth. Another aspect of the piece which aids in its juxtaposition of the mundane and fantastic is its natural forms. The use of monochromatic natural colours and smooth forms derives from pieces from abstract expressionist Brett Whitely. These elements along with a section of wire fence, suggesting a restraint of identity, culminate to communicate the notion of oneself neglecting their singular identity to become part of a bigger collective or for the sake of an audience.










Tomika Hampton 
Colour Within
Mixed Media

We are all individuals and our passions define us. Passion is in everyone’s lives, whether it’s a hobby, partner or something you love. This artwork presents three boxes of linear colourful feminine images suspended from a branch. I was inspired by the work of Tim Noble & Sue Webster’s simplistic sculptural works and the shadows that emerge from suspended installations. I intended to indulge into the stereotypical female identity using flowers and “pretty” lights to show that love exists in all relationships and gender selection is not defined by the family influence (branch).  It shows the strength of one’s self to be emotionally balanced regardless of the harsh (chains) that society may reflect. Gay marriage is now accepted and how we as a young generation accept equality is balanced by our own upbringing and societal values. Social media and the use of light ‘spotlights’ the sensationalism of media on this topic. Gay marriage is a choice but so is our ability to accept everyone as individual.












Tatum McGee
Guardian Warrior – Kaitiaki Toa
Wearable Art

My wearable art is based on the concept of ‘fantasy’, the one who wears this turns into a warrior protector of the forest, like a nymph or Goddess. Inspired from my own Maori culture and it’s affinity to the land this work is representative of ancestral hunting. This tradition was typically male dominated. Wearing this garment the female warrior is empowered to become fierce and a dominating force. Constructed of a combination of natural and recyclable materials, the horns represent strength, and the whole head piece is symbol of power and position. Natural materials such as the sticks and rocks connect her to nature.









Nicole Slabbert
The Great Restorer of Life
Oil paint on Canvas

Psalm 23:3 “He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for hisnname's sake.”
Through faith in Jesus, we receive Gods promised salvation. We are made new in his image and we are forgiven of our sins. The impact of faith on an individual life can bring hope and contempt, and trust in God can eradicate fear and uncertainty. Belief and faith bring back a personal relationship with God which is centred on unconditional love, and ultimately, it brings upon spiritual growth and renewal; it fulfils the soul.    
My folio aims to put a contemporary twist on traditional Christian art, creating artwork which communicates the same doctrinal messages as older Christian works, yet in a more modern context and style.
Through an abundance of rich symbolism, my artwork conveys the message that Jesus is, the great restorer of life.










Lily Tiley-Sayer
Phillip was Here
Photography on Lino

In my artwork I examine environments – urban, industrial and natural. I am interested in the intersection between place, city or nature, and human perception and utilisation thereof, throughout history.











Mackenzie Pitt
Childish Things
Porcelain

“When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.” 1 Corinthians 13.11

Childish Things seeks to visualise the psychological relationship that is formed between us and the inanimate objects that we had as children. Teddy bears are vessels that securely hold love and comfort when transferred from a parent to a child. Now adults, the sentimental connection that was once cherished is diminished by the faces of reality, the teddy is now seen as just an object. Through the use of slip casting, the porcelain transforms the once soft, vibrant teddy bear into a fragile echo of the original. In an attempt to hold onto the childhood memories, the clay hardens from a liquid to solid, capturing small details and moments as if frozen in time.










Mackenzie Brown
Silent Chaos
Biro Pen on Paper

My artwork began as aimless scribbles in a maths notebook – directionless, confused and infinitely overlapping – which eventually inspired exploration of the shadows created by the intersecting linear fragments. Through the construction of portrait and figure, the aforementioned biro lines assembled themselves into organised embodiments of unruly chaos – a representation of human identity and emotion. Silent Chaos recreates the ‘surface’ of a person, whilst simultaneously exposing the fractured, disordered confusion intrinsic to every single one of us.









Taylah Gill
Neon Society
Acrylic on canvas

Neon Society explores the complex intersection of; the human form, societal expectations & our evolving relationship with technology and the future it promises. We live in a world that subjects us to near-constant judgment – a scenario we (well, most of us!) willingly subject to. The reflective, iridescent qualities of my painting echo this idea; the ‘light’ shines upon us but does not define who we are, merely the exterior we present to our hypercritical society.














Mikaela Zara
Plugged in, but Disconnected
Acrylic on canvas

Trapped in the way we live in this modern world, with our eyes glued to digital screens, with one touch of a button we’re hooked. This artwork represents a young boy who has trapped himself in technology, slowly killing his connection to the real world. Twenty years ago, back when children would play outside, riding bikes and building forts, seems like a lifetime ago. Today’s youth have been impacted through technology causing a disintegration of core values that not so long ago were the fabric that held families together. Technology has completely changed every aspect of our society and building forts is merely a memory.









Toshi Sasaki-Dunlop
Night Terror
Photographic print

Imagine sleeping... dreaming, peacefully, when slowly you start to realise you’re in your own room but something isn’t right. You try to move to get up but you can’t even move a muscle. You try to scream for help but nothing happens. You begin to feel something sinister in the room, you see the dark corners of your bedroom begin to spread and get darker and then all of a sudden you see shadows of unexplainable things. And one gets closer and closer. You find it harder to breathe the closer it gets, the shadow rises above you and you feel an overwhelming force on your chest and you can’t breathe at all. You don’t know what to do, but the twist is you can’t do anything to stop what is happening, you can’t move at all. The only thing you can do is witness the terrors being forced on you in your own bedroom.
Sleep Paralysis or “Night Terrors” can happen to anyone at any time. Experiences vary from different people with some experiences being vague or almost indescribable while others experience terrifying events in grim detail.
This photographic piece relates to some events of sleep paralysis with witnesses saying that they experience a woman. This is the most common case of sleep paralysis call “Old Hag Syndrome” and relates back centuries with reported instances of demonic possession or ghostly encounters around the world. In this artwork the victim is being suffocated by this woman while trying to scream for help but there is nothing they can do.












Kiahna Gilmore
Deep Ecology
Acrylic, liquid silicone & resin

During this semester, it was imperative to investigate a philosophical force which influences the artist’s condition. This being said, through investigating principles of philosophies such as misanthropy, environmental value and the deep ecology movement, a deeper understanding of issues pertaining to the negative impact of human behaviours on the natural environment was established. Initially, the focus was solely this interrelationship of human impact on the natural environment, however, while in the inceptive stages of conceptualising the individual pieces, the aesthetic value of the natural environment was also deemed necessary to depict. This was followed by the three abstract paintings which were created via the ‘acrylic pour’ method - liquid psilocin thinning the paint to create cells. These noticeable cells in the paintings mirrored the creation of life on earth - the different colour schemes relating to the different elements. Ultimately, this body of work acknowledges the aesthetic value of the natural environment - its allure and prosperity in conditions which are free from human impact, while simultaneously understanding that the destructive behaviours of humankind have resulted in the diminished presence of thriving plant and animal life.











Paris Campbell
Identity
Mixed Media

The questioning of art as a commodity and the social awareness of 21st century art, has been thoroughly explored and reflected through the contemporary experience of art making, and the body of work ‘Identity’. The artwork holds an implicit denotation of existentialism, encouraging the audience to consider what is a consequence of their individuality decaying and diminishing. ‘Identity’ is the concept of social media manipulating, essentially what we deem to be real. Who we are, our ethics and our inspirations are extracted from what we perceive on the media. So, therefore this body of work is reflective of our identity being stripped. The initial intentions of the work were evidently accomplished and revealed the concluding concept clearly. Dark, hollowed features encase the discomfort of the girl, and her delicate décolletage suggests the petite nature and the vulnerability she holds within. The media continually rely on this weakness and therefore urge society to doubt who we once thought we were, and our true selves, slowly but surely, seep away.









Rebecca Taplin
Ephemeral
Mixed media sculpture (silicone, clay, fabrics and resin)

In a world where nothing else mattered, what would you do? Inspired by the techniques of Ron Mueck, Ephemeral represents the transition from our fanatical, constrained reality into an alternative state, untouched by time or form. The aged figure is an allegory for an image we make for ourselves. Yet as sleep prevails, we melt into a fluid space, unscathed by these fictitious restraints. As Mueck does, I decide to manipulate scale to enforce the surreal hyperrealism.






Tessa Slocombe
Dualities
Oil paint on canvas board and Perspex [framed]

The good can’t exist without the evil, the happy can’t exist without the sad. These opposing ideas have been represented through colour to demonstrate ideas of beauty and suffering. Hardships can bring growth and learning, and it is reassuring to know that failure can be channelled into success.










Erin Clayton
Zemblanity
Graphite, Oil Paint, Rust Medium, Wire, Resin on Pine Wood

This artwork explores the inevitable discovery of what we would rather not know- that our intrinsic sacrifice leads to our collective suffering. In this portrait, a woman can be seen clawing at her own skin, only to reveal wire detail and blood which appears rusted. This imagery attempts to reveal society's depthlessness and loss when we are absorbed by ideologies that encourage self-preservation and facades. It is in this pursuit that we have become kleptomaniacs of our own humanness, as well as each others'.








Lily Nolan
Not the Master of Your Universe
Glazed stoneware; hand-sculpted, additions; wire, cotton string, ink and skeleton leaves

Sometimes in life we don’t get to make our own decisions and we have to have faith that things will be okay. The hanging figure represents having no control, because it is not grounded, and the cracks show how fragile that feels. The figure is letting the vines hold it up, it is not trying to claw it’s way free, and this shows trust that it won’t fall. I made this artwork to display that when we lose control, we are forced to put our trust in this world.









Brydie Gilbert
 ‘Plus sized’
Sculpture/ wearable art

There is so much pain in a piece of clothing, when creating this artwork, it didn’t matter how many times it hurt when the steam from an iron burned my skin or how many times I pricked my fingers with a sewing needle, it was still overshadowed by the emotional pain of clothing. This artwork is a visual representation of the feeling when strolling through an aisle in a clothing store and realising that there is nothing there for you; when magazines and brands advocate so furiously for inclusivity, framing the industry when a large still barely fits your frame.









Alyssa Gill
Restraint
Video Installation

Restraint; a measure or condition that keeps someone or something under control. How deeply does the stereotyping of young girls effects their growth and development? This film features a young girl tangled in a web of stockings, she is stripped of identity through the portrayal of her figure in a white suit. This entanglement of hair, limbs and material becomes a metaphor for restraints placed on girls due to the unreasonable expectations and restrictions placed on them and their identity.















Tayla Muller
X & Y 
Oil Paints on canvas paper, felt and thread, coloured pencil

Who determines who we are? How we look? Or how wealthy or intelligent we will are? The advanced technology over the years have changed how parents of today control their children, trying to make the perfect child through changing genetics. Our massive influences trap their young children into being customized to their liking. Altering the people who hold the future in their hands, are no longer down to earth or themselves, as advanced medicine has been seen light-heartedly rather than viewing the serious consequences.








Libby Hoe
Roman 14:8
Printed graphite sketches, Shellac, Acrylic paint, Holy Bible pages.  

 ‘If we die, we die to the Lord.’
Who gets to decide whether we live or die? There are many people who trust that some sort of higher power decides one’s fate, but what gives another the right to take a human life? Roman 14:8 is an exploration of ordinary people who took that power into their own hands and acted out what they believed to be God’s will. Questioning, what separates them from divinity?











Eloise Culloty
The Lipstick Enlightenment
Embroidery on vintage lingerie

The installation symbolises the struggle for women’s rights throughout history. Woman have been suppressed with the notion of femininity, which is represented by the lingerie that manipulates and constricts the female form. In an act of defiance to these constraints, the garments have been set alight. For centuries women have fought for equal rights, not just for themselves, but for that came after them. The embroidered hands, reminiscent of Michelangelo’s The Creation of Adam, are those of a woman handing down the fruits of her labour to the next generation, so that they may live in a more equitable society.









James Neilson
Emancipation
Photography Series

Transformation is a process, an adventure; for it does not happen instantly. I have chosen the process of decay and likened it to a pilgrimage. I chose this topic as decay is seen as a destructive process, but it is only when something is fully stripped down or destroyed that emancipation can be achieved. This series of photographs explores soft focus and long exposure to exemplify how spaces can be completely transformed. The images show decay of reason, clarity is worn down and strength prevails.
















Mia Weekes
The Women, The Fish, The Burg and The Abyss
Acrylic paint and pouring medium on canvas

My work focuses on the mystery of subconscious and emotional expression in art. When creating an artwork, past experiences, memories, thoughts and emotions are intuitively transferred onto a canvas and thus, an artwork becomes an entity through which to communicate. Though the direction as to what the painting will become remains a mystery, the finished artwork ultimately reflects the artist’s subconscious thought; an extension of themselves. Painting in an automatic state, each color, brushstroke or scrape applied is pregnant with significance, drawing on past emotion and experiences and contributes to the overarching value of the work.













Charlie Archer
Relics of Indiscretion
Mixed Media

Landfill is an issue that has woven its way into our wasteful society, and is becoming increasingly more dangerous. Its consequences are destructive to our health and wellbeing, and in most third world countries entire communities are forced to survive on such buildups. My work explores the unhealthy relationship between humans and landfill, and the ways in which landfill and pollution affect not only us, but the environment around us. I used reclaimed materials which were regarded as ‘rubbish’ to create my body of work and hope to spark thought into this issue through what I have created.













Ellen Downey
Imagination
Digital Print

Inspired by the fairy-tale of Peter Pan, in particular Tinker Bell, my work explores the theme of childhood creativity. The lights in my art work symbolize the magic that is a part of childhood imagination and innocence. As we age, often this ability to imagine and fantasise is lost due to our inhibitions or adult logic. I wanted to highlight the importance of dreaming and being creative.





























No comments:

Post a Comment